Aware, intentional, self guided learning for the most important role I will have in this life. Mother.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Lazy days

Tasks:
Weed Garden
Cook Spiced Basmati Pilau
Read a chapter in Playful Parenting
Laundry
Clean Kitchen
Go to the Market
Take Marley for a walk
Research extended breastfeeding and cavities
Master the Maya Tie

What a great day. I've taken the advice of some very wise Koala Mamas and Spencer and I have slowed down ours days together. It really seems to be improving both of our moods. I try to have a few missions ensuring that some will take us out of the house but try to go with the flow as much as possible. Days like these give Spencer time to learn and explore.


We took our borrowed Maya Tie for a test drive to the market. I love the look of it. The fabric is light with a cool woven texture. The straps are long and wide so you can do most carrys that you can with a wrap and distribute the weight across your shoulders and chest or it you are wearing it on the front the weight would spread across your back. I noticed immediately how huge the body of carrier is. At first when I loaded Spencer up the body came up to the top of his head and trapped him tight to my body which of course drove him crazy. So I folded the bottom over a couple of times shortened it which gave him much more room to breathe. I did a simple back carry with the straps crossed across my chest. This left a long tail of fabric hanging down my back. After half a block into our walk I noticed the tightness of the waist strap and soon my shoulders began to ache and I began to feel hunched. I just can't find anything that's as simple and comfortable as the Ergo.

Here's some stuff I found out about breastfeeding and cavities:

" An article in the newsletter of the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine states, "It would be evolutionary suicide for breastmilk to cause decay and [some anthropologists believe] that evolution would have selected against it. There are 4,650 species of mammals, all of whom breastfeed their young. Humans are but one species of mammals, but they are the only species with any significant decay."(25)

La Leache League info on Early Childhood Caries

Interesting stuff. Apparently cavities can be caused by an excess of Streptococcus-mutans (S. mutans) in the mouth which can be transmitted by the mother or soother, bottles etc... The more acidic the mouth is the higher the risk of developing cavities. This condition can be treated by eating more Calcium rich foods and more vitamin D to add in the absorption.

Whew... I knew that there had to be other reasons why infants develop cavities. I'm not going to force Spencer to brush his teeth. I'll suggest it and encourage it and work on adding more Calcium and Vitamin D to his diet.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home