Aware, intentional, self guided learning for the most important role I will have in this life. Mother.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Lactation Station Breast Milk Bar

So tonight I went here.



It was a very interesting event. Getting out of the house by myself on such a beautiful night was also a great feeling. Jess had a bar set up and would stage tastings with a group of people. An ounce of milk from two different donors was examined and compared. The milk didn't taste near as good as mine. Once was earthy flavoured with a hint of almond and the other was sweeter but with an odd aftertaste. Seriously. When I sat down at the bar Jess pointed out that we'd met before at Riverdale Farmer's Market. We discussed our babywearing poncho. I wish I had a better memory. It doesn't even ring a bell.

The show was really well done. It was respectful. I was afraid that it would be about the taboo and shock value of drinking breastmilk as art and less about giving it the social esteem it deserves. There was a slideshow with the donors discussing among other things their views on their breastfeeding relationships with their children.

Health Canada issued a release (here) on their opposition to the consumption of human breast milk in response to the show. HA! Governments are weird. A different branch of the same government who issued her a grant to do this project. Jess distributed a handout detailing her methodology. So smart.

What a feeling to look around and recognize members of my community. Heck. It feels really good to have a community.

5 Comments:

Blogger Keith Holloway said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:46 PM

 
Blogger Keith Holloway said...

Just remember that I stayed home from climbing so you could go to this :-)

Your loving husband,

Keith

P.S. Check out my blog: Agito Internet Marketing Blog

9:47 PM

 
Blogger BarbaraH said...

Yes dear. A marriage IS give and take and in this instance you were the giver.

7:41 AM

 
Blogger BarbaraH said...

YOU DID NOT JUST PLUG YOUR SILLY BUSINESS BLOG.

2:02 PM

 
Blogger Heather said...

I think that this looks like the coolest event! I am a lactation educator here is Colorado, and these types of events are just so amazing for the community. Thanks for sharing :)

1:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home